Dawkins, history deniers and science deniersDr Richard Dawkins writes a summary of all his years of accu...
Is God and Allah in the same league?There is often confusion, especially among Christians, when ...
Evolution proves that there are eternal destinations.Living in the 21st century, you cannot help seeing that evol...
Copyright 2007 TheBook.co.za
Is Jesus the Bible?
|Created by Gerard de Vos|
Category: Bible related
In the Bible we find the expression that Jesus is the Word (John 1:1 ‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning’. Verse 14 - ’and the Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us’). Our common understanding is that the Word of God is the Bible. These verses declare that Jesus is the Word or the Bible. We could then read those sentences as: ‘In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God.... And the Bible became flesh and made its dwelling among us.’
Without being too dogmatic and theological, we can come to the following conclusions:
1. Jesus came to save sinners (‘I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance’ Luke 5:32). After His resurrection, He was taken to heaven where He is at the right hand of God (Acts 1:9; 7:56).
2. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to help, teach and guide those who called on Him and were saved by Him (John 14:26 - ‘the Counsellor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you’).
3. The Holy Spirit uses the Bible to teach us about God and life.
4. This Manual, the Word of God, known as the Bible, has this miraculous characteristic: it saves (‘By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you’, 1 Corinthians 15:2; James 1:21; 1 Peter 1:23).
5. The Word of God has the same function as Jesus. Jesus saves anyone who accepts his sacrificial death on their behalf, from landing in the eternal lake of fire with the devil and his angels. The message in the Word saves from eternal torment.
To understand it better, let us use the example of buying a camera, or any other complicated appliance or device. It is usually done with the implicit assurance that the accompanying manual will teach the user just as thoroughly as if the designer of the appliance was present.
Conclusion: Jesus is not personally with us, He is at the right hand of the Father, interceding for us (Hebrews 7:25). His function as Savior is now fulfilled by the Bible. Jesus is the Word (...and His name is the Word of God - Revelation 19:13).
Would the Word then be only Jesus’ words as found in the Gospels, or also the rest of the New Testament and the Old Testament? 1 Thessalonians 2:13 - ‘you received the Word of God ... not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God’. Peter emphasized it in 2 Peter 1:21 -’men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit’. In Acts 4:25 this is explained: ‘You (God) spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of your servant, our father David’.
Summary: The whole Bible is the Word of God, Jesus personally speaking to us. That is why a believer listens to Jesus personally by reading and obeying His Word, known to us as the Bible.