Evolution has infiltrated every part of our Western society. The definition of evolution as a gradual development to a more complex form, is quite appropriate when one declares that things like ships or cars evolved. There was intelligence that developed them. But evolutionists assume that religion is an evolutionary development (D Wilson, Darwin’s Cathedral, University of Chicago Press, 2002).
To investigate this matter, let us answer what religion is. It is a belief in and worship of a higher power. According to evolution, belief in the God of the Christians, is a development out of primitive man’s imagination. But Christians do not agree at all. Christianity is a religion that was revealed to man by God and written down in the Bible. Christians get their information about God from the Bible. It would then mean that the Bible is a product of man’s imagination, because all life and even the universe is a random accident according to evolutionists. But that is not the truth at all.
The Bible is a very unique book. It was compiled over a long period of time. It contains 66 different books written by about 40 human writers. The contents of their writing span history from the beginning of man (Genesis), right to the end of this age (Revelation). The 40 odd writers started writing around 1400 BC (Moses) and finished by 95 AD (John). These writers came from different backgrounds, and many of them did not know the others. They wrote without realizing that their writings would become part of an eternal book (never forget that God is the real Author, who through the Holy Spirit inspired the men to write). They wrote about man who disobeyed God and fell into sin. That affected the planet. It was cursed and became rebellious. That resulted in disease, hard work for men, death, bloodshed and various social ills. But the first 39 books also prophesied repeatedly that a very special person would come who would turn the curse around. He would once again change man’s situation concerning God completely. These authors have a consistent message: One invisible Creator God revealed Himself to man in history. Jesus Christ, the Saviour, came to earth to die for humanity’s sins.
The question evolutionists must answer is, how could these people ‘devise’ such a volume of 66 books, without the benefit of modern media to corroborate all the details? To illustrate the impossibility of chance writings (and to impress on believers that they can have faith in their book), we will give some examples from secular history that support the historical facts of the Bible.
- The Hittites were regarded as a fictional group. No Archeological proof of their existence had been found. That seemed to be a good reason why the stories in the Bible that talk about them were not historically true. The Bible relates that Abraham bought a burial site for his wife Sarah from the Hittites (Genesis 23:7-20), and the man whose wife David seduced was a Hittite (2 Samuel 11:3). In 1906 Hugo Winckler discovered thousands of cuneiform tablets at the sight of the Hittite capital, 90 miles east of Ankara in Turkey. These tablets revealed that they were noted for their military prowess, and commercial activities. They traded horses with Solomon (they were noted for their fine horses) and had the secret of iron smelting, which the Philistines only understood two centuries later (remember how they kept this information secret from the Israelites - 1 Samuel 13:19-21).
- In the British museum in London there is a steal of Shalmaneser 111 of Assyria in which he mentions his war against Ahab, king of Israel, and Benhadad of Syria. He boasts that at the battle of Karkara king Benhadad brought along 2000 chariots and 10000 foot soldiers from Ahab to fight against him. (At this time there was peace between Ahab and Benhadad - 1 Kings 22:1.)
- Another stela from Tiglath-pileser 111 tells about his invasion of Israel (2 Kings 15:29).
- On the black obelisk we have a picture of the Israelite king Jehu bowing before Shalmaneser 111 (2 Kings 9-10). We learn from the obelisk that Jehu tried to buy friendship from the Assyrians (instead of from God) in the first year of his reign.
- The Babylonian Chronicle for 615-609 BC records the fall of Nineveh, prophesied by the prophet Nahum. King Josiah was killed when he went to fight against Neco, king of Egypt who went to help the crumbling Assyrian empire at Carchemish (2 Chronicles 35:20).
This is only a small sample of all the historical and archaeological findings that support the Biblical records. The museums of Paris, Berlin, Cairo, Istanbul, Jerusalem and others all over the world abound with additional evidences. To accept that the Bible is a chance happening, is just as impossible as to accept that a land animal changed into a whale. The Bible, on which our faith rests, is a reliable, historical document, open to study and perusal. Evolution, which wants us to believe that belief in a supernatural God is a chimera, has never given reliable evidence that their idea is the truth. Evolution proves one thing very clearly: God has an enemy, the devil, and he will do anything to destroy the faith of people. It is not for nothing that the teaching of evolution is made law, and that society incessantly repeats the mantra of ‘millions of years did it.’ The devil wants as many people as possible in hell. This is the tragedy of our times: Jesus said: ‘However, when the Son of Man comes (the second time) will He find faith on the earth’ (Luke 18:8)? We as believers in the Lord Jesus, have a tremendous responsibility to see that we are convinced of the truth of the Bible, and that we use every opportunity to teach it to our children, family and friends.
Literature: P Masters, Heritage of Evidence in the British Museum, Wakeman Trust, 2004; M Unger, The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary, Moody Press, 1985.