The miracle of the Bible is that it is both a physical and a supernatural book. It represents a God who operates both in the physical as well as in the invisible, supernatural realm.
God is eternal, and therefore can create a future eternal world.
He decided on a family. The first step was the creation of a physical universe, with the earth as the place where God would establish a country, a home for His ‘family.’ This earth would be under man’s command to subdue and work. As man is both body and soul, God would provide for both. On the one hand we live in a tangible, testable world, which man can investigate by science. On the other hand man is prepared for heaven by being born again, and led on the road of sanctification. We must be prepared for our next home, which will be completely different from what we know now.
The present order (which operates by purely natural means like wind, rain and sunshine) will come to an end: ‘...for the old order of things has passed away’ (Revelation 21:4b). That is when the present order, the normal operation of the universe with its laws of physics, chemistry, biology, et cetera, will come to an end. In 2 Peter 3:10 we read: ‘The day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.’ In verse 12b we read again: ‘That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.’ Something very drastic is going to happen that will inaugurate the new, ‘unnatural’ world.
- It will have no sun, sea, decay, running down, or destruction of nature.
- No earth warming, no ozone destruction (no sun).
- Light will come from the Lord.
- The curse on the earth will be broken. It will yield maximum fruitfulness, with no calamities, hurricanes, or tsunamis.
- The fruit trees will bear 12 times a year, so there will be abundant provision. Yet there will be no rubbish dumps, carbon emissions, or industrial pollution.
- Men and animals will live in peace. Death will be nonexistent and pain, sickness and broken hearts unknown. No psychologists will be needed.
- We will all have glorious resurrected bodies like that of Jesus.
- There will be no sins, like jealousy, hatred, murder, theft or any of the social ills - nothing to disturb the harmony. Evil would have been effectively curtailed and shut up in eternal hell.
- The city will be massive, with streets of gold. What about water, electricity and waste disposal? Those will be things of the past. God will supernaturally take care of everything needed.
This is not a natural ‘order’ that we are talking about. It will be supernatural. This explains why we need an omnipotent, powerful, wise God. This is the God the Bible presents to us, and in no way should we be deceived into letting go of our hope. It will sustain us in troubling times.