According to the Bible, in heaven one day there will be no difference between men and women. There will not be differences between classes and colors of people. All redeemed persons will be like the angels, with new bodies. The miracle is that this life’s unfairnesses will be eliminated.
According to the Koran, heaven for the Muslim is different. There men will live in beautiful gardens, with perpetual virgins serving them. How does Allah regard women? For that information we have to turn to the Koran, and the writings related to it.
- When Muhammad visited paradise and hell (during the Night journey), he reported: The prophet said, ‘I looked into paradise and found that the majority of its dwellers were the poor people, and I looked into the (hell) fire and found that the majority of its dwellers were women’ (1).
- In his days, women had to be careful not to walk past praying men (2). When asked by Aisha, one of his wives what the reason for this was, Muhammad answered: The things which annul the prayers were mentioned before me. They said, ‘Prayer is annulled by a dog, a donkey and a woman (if they pass in front of the praying people).’ I (Aisha) said, ‘You have made us (i.e. women) dogs’ (3).
- At another time Muhammad said: Evil omen was mentioned before the Prophet. The Prophet said, ‘If there is evil omen in anything, it is in the house, the woman and the horse’ (4).
- The Koran says it takes the witness of two women to equal the witness of men: Get witnesses out of your own men. And if there are not two men (available), then a man and two women, such as you agree for witnesses, so that if one of them (two women) errs, the other can remind her, Surah 2:282.
- Muhammad explained: The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind’ (5).
- They would also receive a smaller share of inheritance than men. Allah commands you as regards your children’s (inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females, Surah 4:11.
In Jesus’ ministry, women were very prominent. He never discriminated against them. He even talking to a Samaritan woman who lived an immoral life (John 4:1-30). For a Jew to talk to a Samaritan was unheard of, and for a Jewish man to talk to a Samaritan immoral woman the worst. Jesus in all circumstances displayed God’s attitude towards women: they are just as much part of God’s creation as men. It is true that because of sin, women have often been treated badly, but God never makes any distinction between the two, and in the eternal kingdom, there is absolute equality.
The Correct Books of Bukhari, vol 8, bk. 76, no. 456. Narrated by ‘Imran bin Hussain.
The Correct Books of Muslim, bk.4, no. 1032. Narrated by Abu Dharr.
The Correct Books of Bukhari, vol. 3, bk. 9, no. 490. Narrated by Aisha.
Ibid, vol. 7, bk. 62, no. 31. Narrated by Ibn Umar.
Ibid, vol 3, bk. 48, no. 826. Narrated by Abu Said Al-Khudri.
The quotations taken from M Gabriel, Jesus and Muhammad, Charisma House, 2004, p 166-168.