Superficially, it sounds like a stupid question: why would the devil, who hates God with a passion, want to know what is written in the Bible?
- The only knowledge about God, the beginning of most major phenomena on earth, and the future of our planet, is found in the Bible.
- It is the only book that makes extensive use of prophecies to teach us what is going to happen in future.
- The Bible reveals the future of human beings after death.
- It also gives us information about God's archenemy the devil, and reveals his grim future (the burning lake of sulphur) in Matthew 25:41. It is not surprising that he would like some way of escape. There are two ways he can go about trying to side step his punishment:
- Depose God and take over as supreme Lord and Judge. That is impossible, because he decisively lost the battle for supremacy at Calvary.
- Try to prove the Bible wrong. He is making a desperate effort to do this, because the eternal fire is a terrifying proposition.
- The Bible is the Word of God. It is either 100% correct, or otherwise there is great confusion what parts are true and what parts are not true. We don't accept that the Bible is the product of man, because people cannot know anything about an invisible God through their limited five, physical senses. Men, chosen by God, wrote down the message of the Bible, inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the only one who knows the mind of God (1 Corinthians 2:11).
- The devil's attack on the Bible is to try to show that God lied somewhere in the presentation of historical facts, miracles, or whatever. If he can succeed in that he would score a wonderful victory, because:
- God says in His Word that righteousness and justice are the basis of His rule (Psalm 89:14).
- He never lies or changes His mind (Numbers 23:19; Titus 1:2).
- No liar will be allowed into heaven (Revelation 21:8).
- If the devil can prove that God lied in the Bible, he knows that legally, God would be barred from heaven and would Himself have to go to hell. That would automatically nullify his (the devil's) sentence in the lake of burning sulfur.
You can be very sure that he scrutinized the Bible verse for verse and word for word, comparing it with history and trying to find mistakes. What would have happened if he found errors in the Bible? He would have won his case: he could not be thrown in hell as God Himself would be in hell. That would mean that he would have no reason to oppose God, as neither he nor any rebellious person would land in the fire. What we notice in the world at large proves that he found no errors. We live in a society with one goal: to oppose God in any way possible. For example,
- Evolution has never been proven scientifically, but is an anti-God dogma that is promoted with a vengeance through the law and the media.
- Atheism is regarded as the sign of an enlightened mind.
- Humanism with its human focus is lauded as wonderful.
- Islam hates the God of the Bible who has a Son and they don't allow the gospel any freedom in Islamic countries.
- The web is awash with anti-God propaganda.
- The institution of marriage (a creation of God) is under an unprecedented attack, promoting adultery, immorality and infidelity as fun.
- Homosexuality and abortion is supposed to be freedom in action.
- Pornography is rife.
- Mammon 'worship' is depicted as the highest achievement anyone can reach.
What is the goal of all this? It is to alienate people from the Bible and therefore directly from God. It is strange that an invisible God can garner so much negative attention. Who is the mastermind behind all this? The devil. People are normally so preoccupied with their own careers and plans, that they will not waste time on some anti-invisible-God propaganda. Yet people are seen doing exactly that. (Dr Richard Dawkins is an excellent example of a person who devotes his time, energy and talents to fight against God.) They are inspired by the devil, as Christians are inspired by the Holy Spirit.
All the direct opposition to Biblical truth that the devil orchestrates gives us the confidence that the Bible is 100% correct. It is only because the world system is ruled by the enemy of God that people would be against God. Have you ever thought how irrational it really is: no human being in our time has seen God, so why would they hate Him passionately? For example, most Islamic countries forbid the Bible. Why? If the Koran is Allah's message to the world, surely he should be able to defend it himself.
To cap the irrationality, the Bible is a book that you are free to believe or reject: take it or leave it. When it comes to liberal theologians, they can resign their theological jobs if they disagree that the Bible is the true words of God, and do something else. Yet, they don't, because they have an agenda inspired by the devil: destroy faith in God by destroying confidence in the Bible. What is happening in the world, demonstrates that God is real, and all people will appear before Him after death, to receive according to what they did and how they conducted themselves while alive.
The devil has proven that the Bible is true, that it is the pure Word of God, that it is trustworthy and dependable from Genesis to Revelation. It is a book that is loved and cherished, because it leads the obedient safely into the kingdom of God.