One thing evolutionists are adamant about is that there was no world wide flood in Noah's time.1 They consider a global flood on Mars to account for the geological structures there, even though it is a totally lifeless planet with no flowing streams or oceans. The earth's surface is 70% water, but evolutionists deny the possibility of a global flood. They ask where all the water would have come from, although the earth could easily be covered with water if the valleys were raised and the mountains flattened.
- This resistance against a world wide flood on earth is illustrated by Harland Bretz who, in the 1920's, proposed the Missoula flood (100 meters deep and 160 kilometers wide) that ripped through the open expanse of eastern Washington and formed the Columbia Gorge. The idea was fought tooth and nail for over thirty years, in spite of the many geological proofs he documented. Geologists were afraid that such a catastrophe could lead people to reconsider the flood of Genesis.2
- Charles Lyell, who taught Darwin geology, absolutely rejected Noah's flood, despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Does Scripture give us any indication why this fear exists?
The flood is a visible reminder of the effects of sin: judgment. The devil hates the word 'judgment,' because it reminds him of his own eternal sentence in the lake of burning sulfur.3 He has to sooth his followers, by teaching them that there was no Flood (global judgement). That is why we will find that the idea of the flood is strenuously resisted. It is not that there is no evidence for the flood. (Millions of fossils in rock layers, laid down by water all over the earth is proof. How could they have formed by just lying on the ground or in water)? The problem is that evolutionists don't want to hear or be reminded of the flood, because that brings an inner voice that reminds them of God's judgment. Hebrews 9:27a reads: 'Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment....' All of us know that people die. It is a fact of life which we cannot doubt or deny. Yet, there is another factor at work and that is the devil. We have mentioned before that he probably carefully scrutinized every page of the Bible to see if he could find any errors. If he did, he would have been justified to ask God to set aside his judgment of eternal damnation in hell for his rebellion. (No liars will be found in heaven. If God lied anywhere in the Bible, He would exclude Himself from His own heaven.4) The devil found no errors or deceptions. Therefore his only prospect was to concentrate his attention on people, who are obviously 'soft' targets. (He couldn't persuade Jesus to join him in the desert temptation.5) His reasoning is that the best he can do is to take as many people as possible to hell with him, just to spite God and to satisfy his own hateful character. He devised many plans like sins, addictions, false religions and false philosophies. One of the best was to mislead people with the idea of evolution. All of us should know that evolution has never contributed anything to science, and has no value, yet it is compulsory to study it in schools. The devil was able to pull that off, because he is in control of sinful society.6 For man there is no value in wasting time to promote evolution. Only if he is inspired with false promises by an invisible spirit, does it seem enticing. 1 Timothy 4:1 says: 'The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.' The religion of evolution promoted by the devil, falls into that category. However, man has a conscience, an inner voice and awareness of God. He has to suppress that if he believes in an idea that negates the Bible, the only testimony about God.
Our lesson: Pray for those who believe in evolution. They are going to get a rude shock if they persist in believing lies.
- Genesis 6-8.
- Michael J. Oard, The Missoula Flood Controversy and the Genesis Flood, Creation Research Society Books, 2004.
- Revelation 20:10. '...the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur.... [He] will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.'
- Revelation 21:8. '...the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars - their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur.'
- Luke 4:1-13.
- 1 John 5:19b. '...the whole world is under the control of the evil one.'