The new heaven and earth will be supernatural. Natural science will be ineffective there, as they will exist and function by the power and glory of God. The reason we know this is that there is a supernatural line through the Bible.
- God, the Author behind the human writers of the Bible is Spirit and supernatural. He revealed Himself through His physical creation and made man in His image. God combined the physical with the supernatural in the creation. Man has a physical body but life was breathed into him by the Spirit of God (supernatural).
- The Bible is also both. It consists of physical paper and historical happenings on the one hand. On the other hand its supernatural side consists of the Holy Spirit and God’s interaction during the redemptive history written down in the Bible (it is not to say God’s intervention in the affairs of men ended, but that is the part that was written down to teach and give us hope according to Romans 15:4). The proof of the dual nature of the Bible is that the person who is not born from above cannot understand it (for example, an evolutionist who rejects the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit in man’s spirit).
- Jesus came as both Man and God (physical and supernatural). He was the firstborn from among the dead so that in everything He might have the supremacy (Colossians 1:17-18). He is the pattern: the supernatural (in heaven), combined with the physical (on earth), resurrected in a physical supernatural body (He ate, yet walked through walls).
- This is the pattern of what is going to happen to us: we will die (our bodies in the grave, as Jesus’), but our spirits are immortal. Then the resurrection at the end of time will take place, where we will be united with our bodies. They will be physical and visible, but supernatural bodies like the body of Jesus after His resurrection.
- Eternity will be physical and supernatural like our new bodies. The new heaven and earth will be completely different from the one we experience now. What will sustain that physical supernatural world we will live in? We can only surmise that Jesus with His eternal Word, will maintain it, as He maintained this world according to Hebrews 1:3.
The goal of Christ’s work in man is to ‘waken’ the spirit of man to see and understand God’s supernatural kingdom. For that purpose John 3 is important, as it is only when we are ‘reborn’ from above that we can enter the kingdom of God. At present Jesus said, the Kingdom is within us, in our spirit, but we are being prepared by the Holy Spirit for Christ's physical and supernatural presence. When a person accepts Jesus, his physical understanding is still big and his newly born spirit is like a baby. Yet his spirit is strengthened as he reads the Bible. It grows like an infant develops as it feeds on milk.
The whole issue of the Bible is to save people from hell and to prepare them to be the bride of the Lamb. Since Jesus is now invisible, we have to learn to walk in the Spirit. That is the reason we need faith: it has to do with the supernatural, that we cannot see or anticipate. When it comes to only natural things, we do not need faith. What God wants us to understand is that life before death is really a preparation for eternal physical and supernatural life. It is a line of God right through the Bible.