We have all heard of the seven wonders of the world and at present there are quite a few such lists, for example: in the ancient world (the Egyptian pyramid of Giza and the temple of Artemis at Ephesus), in the medieval world (the Colosseum in Rome and the Great Wall of China) and in the modern world (the Empire State Building in New York, the Channel tunnel between the United Kingdom and France, and the Internet).1
We would like to suggest an eighth wonder: the withdrawn, unrelenting battle against one book, the Bible. It is absolutely amazing that this battle has continued throughout the ancient and medieval world by, for instance, the Romans Caesars. Various other nations as well as many individual countries and leaders declared war on it. The most noticeable battles in the modern world are:
- The Communist block that destroyed and banned Bibles and imprisoned and persecuted anyone who read or owned them.
- Muslims have tried their best to annihilate the Christian faith. Today it is positively dangerous to take a Bible into a Muslim country or to evangelize for Christ there. Islam's evangelists spread the word against the Bible.
- Evolutionists must spend billions annually in their desperate search for evidence that would disprove supernatural creation by the God of the Bible.
- Atheists are planning and plotting how to rid society of the Bible.
- The most noticeable hostility against the Bible, is the liberal media. The internet, TV, films, newspapers, magazines, schools, universities and many books try to persuade people that the Bible is an ancient myth of no concern. Their goal is that people despise it, so that they do not investigate its claims: there is life after death and you will do well to submit to God's glorious plan for man. If you do not make use of the opportunity to become a part of God's eternal family, you automatically remain in the kingdom of darkness (ignorance) and continue to the place of fire and suffering with the devil and his angels.
Has there ever been a prolonged war against any other book in the history of man? No. That is one of the best proofs that the Bible is a supernatural book: in spite of all the attempts to annihilate it, it has remained indestructible. The battle against the Bible could only have been sustained for so long by someone who has the energy, is invisible and who transgresses man's limited lifespan. We know who he is, the devil, God's perpetual enemy.
There is another proof that the Bible is true and not an ancient myth. Frederick the Great, monarch of Prussia, asked his chaplain for a very brief proof that the Bible is true. The answer he got surprised him. It was one word: 'Israel.'2 Israel is the country that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob promised to His people. In 70 AD Jerusalem was destroyed and again in 124 AD. The Jews were scattered throughout the world. They have been persecuted, harassed, expelled, killed and discriminated against from that time, yet they have survived as a unique nation. Today they are back in Israel after 1900 years of exile. At present the country of Israel is under severe pressure, because the Arabs continually demand its destruction. Yet, to date the nation has miraculously survived, just like God's book, the Bible.
The Bible remains as one of the wonders of our modern world, because it has survived hundreds of years of relentless attacks and has remained indestructible.
2. J M Boice, Psalms, Volume 3, Baker books, 1998, p 1131.