A quick guide to twenty four hour creationThere was a time when cyanide was used to execute criminals ...
Richard Dawkins, an excellent proof that God is real God is an invisible, spiritual being, whom no one has seen. ...
Evolution proves that there are eternal destinations.Living in the 21st century, you cannot help seeing that evol...
Copyright 2007 TheBook.co.za
|Created by Gerard de Vos|
There are Christians who ‘prove’ by Scripture verses that the God of the Bible is not one God in three Divine Persons (the Trinity). Is their motive to prove that Jesus is not the Son of God? If that is so they are from the anti-Christ spirit. Since the war against God and His Word will never cease, and the devil will always try to lead people astray, it is necessary to concentrate on principles before we discuss the issue.
- The Bible is not written in textbook style. This is done by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit because of the law of God: SEEK. We find it in Matthew 6:33: 'SEEK first the Kingdom of God....' David gave the same command to his son Solomon, 'And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve Him with wholehearted devotion and a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands the motive behind the thoughts. If you SEEK Him, He will be found by you...' (1 Chronicles 28:9).
- The Bible is written in such a way that it either increases faith, or gives a person reason to reject it. The words of Neander are very apt: 'God reveals Himself in His word [the Bible], as He does in His works [the creation and miracles]. In both we see a self-revealing, self-concealing God, who makes Himself known only to those who earnestly seek Him. In both we find stimulants to faith and occasions for unbelief. In both we find contradictions, whose higher harmony is hidden, except from him who gives up his whole mind in reverence. In both, in a word, it is a law of revelation that the heart of man should be tested in receiving it, and that in the spiritual life, as well as in the bodily, man must eat his bread in the sweat of his brow.' This quotation amplifies the fact that God must be sought, and only in Scripture. Further, we find that God doesn't reveal things clearly. He wants to know who is genuinely interested in Him? Who loves Him sincerely?
- The following quotation from Isaiah 6:9 supports both the above: 'He said, Go and tell this people. Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving....' Some people don't want to understand Scripture. They want to twist it to suit their own ideas.
- This brings us to another interesting fact: 'Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths' (2 Timothy 4:2-5).
- The war against the Word means that believers have to be strong in the faith. God commanded Joshua in chapter 1:6 and 7: 'Be strong and courageous....Be strong and courageous....' He would lead the people into the promised land, and we are led by the Holy Spirit into the promises of God. Nevertheless, we have to stand strong, which is why we are exhorted: '...being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you (we) may have great endurance and patience...' (Colossians 1:11).
- The eternal Kingdom of God on the renewed earth is worth billions. The devil will never inherit it, so in retaliation he uses preachers and teachers to lead believers astray. Paul writes (inspired by the Holy Spirit): 'I tell you this so that no one will deceive you by fine-sounding arguments' (Colossians 2:4). It is one of the strange aspects of the Bible that there are many warnings against false teachers and prophets. It is because Jesus said that He is the Way, and the Way is described in Scripture. Deviating from Scripture will have devastating consequences, and if a person dies in error, the loss is irretrievable. See also Acts 20:30, 1 Timothy 4:1, Jeremiah 23.
The Trinity is Tri-theism. God is one in essence, three in Person. This is called a 'paradox,' which means that it has an appearance of contradiction, but is actually true. Likewise Jesus is one in Person, but two in nature (God and human, Philippians 2:5-7). All three members of the Trinity are one in nature, but have different functions, though they overlap.
Some of the verses that must be looked at are the following:
- Matthew 28:19, 'Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit....'
- Romans 1:1-4, 'Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, and set apart for the gospel of God - the gospel He promised beforehand through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures regarding His Son, who as to His human nature was a descendant of David, and who through the Spirit of Holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by His resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.'
- Romans 15:30, 'I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me.'
- 2 Corinthians 13:14, 'May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.'
Some more verses:
Isaiah 6:8; 11:2,3; 48:16.
Revelation 1:1; 21:22; 22:3,17.
John 5:19, 22, 23; 6:27; 14:16,17,26; 15:26.
The Holy Spirit knows the Father, 1 Corinthians 2;10,11.
Luke 1:35, the Holy Spirit came upon the virgin.
Acts 5:3-4, Ananias lied to the Holy Spirit, who is God.
John 3:16 God forgives sins, so does the Son, Mark 2:10.
Titus 1:3, 2:13, God and Jesus are the Saviour.
Ephesians 4:30, grieve not the Holy Spirit of God.
Why the Trinity is essential:
The message of the Bible begins with a family, Adam and Eve. It ends with a Family. At the wedding of the Bride and the Son, the Father is glorified (Revelation 19:6,7).
- The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth (John 14:16). He washes believers by rebirth and renewal (Titus 3:5) and lives in them, making sure they belong to Christ (Romans 8:9). He helps to put to death the misdeeds of the body, as He leads them (Romans 8:13,14).
- We know that God the Son is the Saviour.
- God the Father planned the whole 'enterprise,' the Kingdom of God, and all three members of the Trinity executed it.
Thus in Revelation 22:1,3,16,17,20 the Lamb of God who took away the sins of the world (Jesus) is with Father God on His throne in the New Jerusalem.